Closer than you think!

map

We have had some recent comments from world neighbours near and far. Turns out some are closer than we imagined! Mrs. Partlow’s Grade 6 class is southeast of us, just across the border in Washing State. Of course our closest friends in Mrs. Braidwood’s grade 6/7 class are a 10 minute drive from our school, but our blogging friends can be anywhere in the world. We are going to be playing with Google maps and time zone clocks to get a better idea of how we connect across distances.

Does distance affect the way we connect with people, ideas, and information? How has the internet affected the way we understand each other?

9 comments

1. Hi from Ottawa, Ontario

Isn’t Google Earth cool? Here’s some things I learned.

By car, our school is about 5027 kilometers East of your school in Courtney.

If I travel 5027 South East I would be in Cuba!

Go that long North East and you could end up in Iceland!

My students are all enjoying their March Break at the moment. I’ll ask them to visit your blog again next week.

In the meantime, you might be interested to learn that the http://www.PortableRadio.ca podcast my students are involved with made it to the finals of the http://www.showusyour.ca contest. You can find our video there – with your teacher and parent’s permission of course.

2. Hi Mr. Toft–wow and double wow, as I have told you before. When I grow up, I want to podcast, and thanks to your sharing I will be able to.
    Yes, Google Earth is pretty cool, but I think blogging and podcasting are cooler.
    Enjoy your break!

1. Hi Thunder,
      Isn’t it amazing how blogging connects us? I bet the scenery in your area is a lot like ours, so perhaps the things we do for fun and for a living are a lot alike too.

3. Hi there! We dropped by to visit your blog and have been amazed at the amount of great information and ideas you have here! We love your bookshelf and your blog is so colourful and inviting. We are new to blogging and aspire to create something as fantastic as what you all have done. We love that we can connect with people around our own ages and see just how similar we all are, despite being so far apart. We also love the name – ‘Huzzah’ reminds some of us of that funny cartoon ‘The Adrenalini Brothers’ 🙂
    From, Mrs Turvey and class, Secret Harbour, Western Australia

1. Hi Mrs. Turvey and Room 17, from the looks of your blog you are well on your way! I have to say I had never heard of the The Amazing Adrenalini Brothers before, but they are pretty cute. Yahzaa! is really the prefect thing to yell when you are jumping off a high diving board or completing any hair-raising stunt. Maybe Huzzah! is the non-Rendoozian version. I will ask my students if they have seen the show. Thank you for visiting and good luck with your blogging!

4. Dear Ms. Smith’s class,

We just read your entry about What if it was possible and almost everyone in the class had a laugh over some of the ideas.
    We checked out the books you had recommmeded on Shelfari. Have any of you read The Capture by Kathryn Lasky?
    We hope you will come down to our school soon to give us some ideas for our blog http://climbhigh.edublogs.org
    From,
    Ms. Bulger’s class

1. Dear Climbers–boy, you have really started with a bang! You should give your teacher a pat on the back for getting your blog started. We will get together with you soon.