Alert! ~ Alert! ~ Alert!

(This guest post is written by one of Huzzahnia’s students. Thanks for sharing this with us, Chelsea!)

Hey Guys and Gals. It’s Chelsea.

I have something very important to tell you. I am speaking live from my house right now…(dramatic pause)… No just kidding. Well, anyways, that very important thing I have to tell you is “The Alert Program”. You might not know what this means, but don’t worry, you will understand everything after. I am going to explain what it is, what it taught us and what it helped us with.

What Is The Alert Program?

Well, it’s very simple. The Alert Program is two people who came to teach us, how to regulate our bodies. Those two people who came to our class are Mrs. Prager & Mrs. Williams. They taught us everything we needed to know on how to get our bodies and minds just right for learning.

What the Alert Program Taught Us!

The Alert Program taught us how to regulate our bodies when they are hyper or sleepy or as Mrs. Prager would say it, Low, Just Right and High

When we need to get from low to just right we can: do a chair push-up, use a chair band, do a hand press, or a head press. A chair push-up is when you use both hands to push your body up off of the chair. A chair band is just a plastic band that goes around the two front legs of your chair, then you push the band forwards with both feet as you have your feet behind the band. The hand press is simple, all you do is push both hands together as hard as you can, with out hurting yourself. The head press is JUST as simple, this time just press your head with your hands.

When you need to get from high to just right, you can: do the Egg, use a fidget tool, or again the head and hand press. The Egg is easy, all you do is make your self into a ball. A fidget tool is something you play with that does not make noise or distract others.

We also learned what Cognition, Sensation, and Emotion are.

Cognition

Cognition is thinking. When you need to get to just right from high, you can just think of something to regulate your self. Once when I was in a small contest at recess, I used cognition to put all the pressure away.

Sensation

Sensation is about your senses in the body. When your engine level is low you can eat some fruit to calm you down. Once when my Mom made cookies, for dessert, I could not get to sleep, because it had chocolate chips in it, chocolate chips is sugar so…I went hyper.

Emotion

Emotion is feelings. When your engine is low, you need some one to cheer you up, that’s when emotions kick in.

Did you see how they all got our engines to just right?

It is important to know all this, because if our engines are just right you will be able to focus…ON THAT MATH TEST YOU HAVE TOMORROW… No just kidding, but still, remember all this and you can focus, and  get a good report card!

Image By: The Allieness

7 comments

1. Chelsea, thanks for explaining The Alert Program. It sounds like a quick and easy way to get yourself to focus. I think I’ll have to share it with my students… and my own kids… and my husband… and… 😉

2. @ Claire
    Hi Claire thanks for the comment. That is great that you will share the info, with your class…and you husband…and (Smiley face)
    well thaks again.

3. OMG! This blog post is huge! props to Chealsy! 🙂 I try all of these things but the only thing that works for me is running and the sniffaty bottles. Bye!

D.C

4. The alert program was a great way to learn how to control your self. When we were getting the lessons I like theeating lesson. Its interesting how smelling, music, food could get you to go in different moods. Especially the equipment like those chair bands, I never tried one but it looks like it would help.
    Chair ups are diffenetly one that would help you but the only thing that would help me is probably a figit tool its so squishy! Great post Chelsea :)!

5. I really like your examples of how cognition, sensation and emotion can affect our engines. I’d like to share your ideas with the school district’s learning support teachers when I next talk to them, if this is okay. Thanks for your thoughtful blog post!

6. Hi Chelsea,
    We have just been discovering ways to help us learn and your post was very interesting. We are going to investigate those ideas further. Your post was helpful.
    Cheers,
    🙂 Mrs T &the Fab 5’s