Remembrance Day Assembly

Guest post by Brittany

On November 10th, 2008 there was an assembly at our school.

It was the day before Remembrance Day and all the classes in the school headed to the gym. As all the classes were going to the assembly, students were fixing their poppies. If you don’t know what a poppy is, it’s a type of flower to remind us about all the soldiers killed in WW1 and WW2, and other wars too.

The assembly talked about the wars and soldiers, and why the soldiers died then to make peace today. Also in the assembly students sang a song about Flanders Fields, and we shared our Hands Up for Peace images. There were two videos made from our teacher. Here is one of the videos from the assembly.

(Note from Ms Smith: This is not the same video we shared at the assembly; a few of the images are cropped, but I think the students’ messages come through.)

5 comments

1. I believe there is great hope for peace when I see all these children acknowledging peace can happen and how to make it happen. Thank you.

2. @Carrie,
    Thank you for your encouraging words. Every day we learn a little more about what it takes to make a peaceful, fair world.

@ Mr. Lund,
    Thanks for visiting. Your Three Words video is very moving. I will share it with the class.
    Thanks again for visiting. I can tell your students are having fun while they learn.

3. Hi Chelsea
    My! Remembrance Day is sure important for everyone, it makes me feel awful for those who sacrificed their lives to make sure us Australians of the future would live merrily and freely. I just wish they could be here to join our freedom and share our smiles… 😥
    Well, you definitely raised awareness in this post. I loved the Animoto and how you had pictures of hands of different people, all raised with writing on them. Totally loved and enjoyed every moment of it. Well done to everyone who participated.
    I agree, we must be respectful, nice and all the rest mentioned. Golly, how my words were directly breathed out into life by students…
    Hope we can be friends! 😀
    Nadine
    stubc08

4. Hi, Huzzah!
    I didn’t have a one minute silent because I was at camp. Though my friends who didn’t go camp told me thet they had a one minute silence.
    Celia 😛