Be More Awesome.

I will confess, I have often felt the word “awesome” is over-used. I had an awesome weekend. My bike is awesome. It would be awesome if I could borrow your pencil. Are those things truly awesome? If we say they are when other words are more accurate, does the word awesome loose its meaning and power?

Then this summer I traveled to a beautiful part of our country called Haida Gwaii. While on our journey aboard the 52 ft sailboat Sölskin we kept a journal called Our Book of Awesome fashioned after Neil Pasricha’s  The Book of Awesome in which he zooms in on those specific gems in the day that he calls simple, universal little joys .

Each day at dinner we would talk and then write about the special moments in the day that stood out for us. One day I wrote that it was awesome that I didn’t get seasick; on another I marveled at the beauty of the bald eagle I saw. Capturing with my camera its translucent eyelid as it blinked was awesome indeed. Then there was that time I was able to stand on my tippy toes and reach the perfect huckleberry. Awesome.

And here we are, at the beginning of new school year. We’re about to embark on ten months of learning together. I think we should be on the lookout for awesome. I am convinced it’s everywhere if we just notice it.

Let’s pay attention to those simple, universal little joys–those awesome moments– every single day.

Kid President  gives us a pep talk in the video below, reminding us that we are  all teachers and students. In his silly way, he invites us to think about what we’re teaching the world– and to be more awesome, because “life is school and you gotta show up”.

What do you think of his message? What do you teach the world? What are you learning from the teachers in your life? And what awesomes have you noticed since school started? Please teach us!

121 comments

1. I found that this message was very important,

This awesome video showed learning on a different perspective. No kids wants to be bossed around, teachers are not the only people that can teach in the world.

I made a friend which turned out to be my best friend and that was awesome!!!!

1. Hi Mia,
      I am glad that Kid President’s message resonated with you. Yes, teachers are not the only ones who teach. I am really thrilled to hear you’ve made a new friend. What a great start to your Gr. 7 year.
      ~Ms. Smith

2. Hi Mrs.Smith. This message is funny and sends a message. Be on time for school because you might miss something important. Always push your parents to be on time.

1. Hi Avery, being on time is important, but please don’t nag your parents–just do your part not to slow them down! I know you are an “on time” sort and that you bring a lot of enthusiasm to learning. I look forward to learning a lot from you this year!
      ~ Ms. Smith

3. I think that this message is very true and could teach anybody something new about the world. I try to teach the world to be enthusiastic, and when I say that I don’t mean you’re not allowed to be upset about something, I actually think that there are times where you just need to be upset or sad and just let your emotions take over, but you don’t need to be upset whenever something doesn’t go your way. One of the awesomes I have noticed is is getting to hold and play a saxaphone for the first times. Another one of the awesomes is that feeling where you have a lot of stuff to do and you get it done without being late or not going to one of the events.

1. Hi Heather, thank you for your thoughtful comment. I agree, being enthusiastic or positive in the right context is really important. There are times when those qualities are out of place. I think you might be talking about perspective: is this a big problem or a little problem. I find that helps me a lot.
      As I’ve told you I have really enjoyed hearing you practice from my window at recess. You already sound terrific. How satisfying that must be. About getting things done–do you mean that feeling of getting it all done so you don’t miss other things you are looking forward to? That does feel great!
      ~ Ms. Smith

4. I found that this video is inspiring to kids that are bullied and don’t want to face their fears again.

This video showed that basically you only have one chance to live your dreams and the way to do that is that life is like school, you have to show up.

1. Hi Brett, I like what Kid President says, but I would go further: you have to show up but you have to do more than wait for learning to happen. You have to do it for yourself. This is really the tough part, don’t you think? But nothing worth doing is done without work.
      ~ Ms. Smith

5. I think this video should make you think that the world isn’t just a big sphere! You should live and learn while you can (unless ghosts do really exist)!

1. Hi Ryan, what an interesting possibility: becoming a ghost and being able to learn forever. I also think that it’s a good thing that the earth isn’t one big cube.
      ~ Ms. Smith

6. Thanks for the video Mrs. Smith. In a comical way Kid President is portraying the message that we are all students to life and we’re being taught each day. We have to look for the little things that make life awesome. For the begining of this school year it’s been seeing all my friends after being away for a year.

1. Hi Logan, it was a real treat for all of us to see you walk back through the Brooklyn front doors. We missed you! I remember two years ago watching you and Noah at the Dance Celebration assembly–I look for to that again this year. One awesome thing this weekend: due on a spider’s web. Wow. What’s caught your attention lately?
      ~ Ms. Smith

1. Hi Kheton, I hope I always keep learning. I try to notice better ways of doing things–this helps me be more successful as a cook, motorist, gardener, and teacher. What are you getting better at?
      ~ Ms. Smith

7. I think that Kid Presidents message is attention-grabbing and laugh-attracting. He really knows how to get a point across!

One thing that I teach the world to do is giggle, snicker, and laugh so hard you can’t breath. I try to crack jokes and be silly, and I love to see you smile!

My Mum and Dad are always teaching my to do stuff in the kitchen and outside. They’re super teachers! Thanks, guys!!

1. Hi Faith,
      Yes, the message certainly is attention-grabbing. Like you, I really laughed (To be or not to be, that is the question!) at his silly voices. And yes, you do make people laugh and smile. I really appreciate that about you. I’m glad you are learning to cook. That means you can feed me, which I also appreciate. What is your favourite dish to prepare?
      ~ Ms. Smith

1. Ms. Smith~
        I like to cook in gereral, but I made Buttermilk Pancakes the other day, before I got sick. My Mum was going to make biscuits for strawberry shortcakes, but we used my pancakes instead and they were great! What’s funny is that pancakes were the first thing my Dad made all on his own too!

Cheers,
        Faith

1. Hi Luke, I really like how well edited the video was. They switch between only a few locations (library, classroom, bus, hall) which ties the whole video together. I got quite a giggle out of it!
      ~ Ms. Smith

1. Hi Ethan,
      Funny for sure. Some parts were not true….just silly! But there were a lot of good messages about learning. I think I will work on being more awesome.
      ~ Ms. Smith

8. I think this video was cute. It was about be a learner and teachers keep teaching. It was about dont’t be a bully.
    Gillian

9. I thought the video was funny and cute, I liked how Kid President made it look like it was fun to learn. And he’s right, nobody should be a bully. Everywhere I go I like to teach people to have fun!

My teachers teach me how to make certain kinds of art, they teach me new games every day, and they teach me how to do different kinds of math every day.

I thought it was AWESOME that I get to see my 2nd cousin on the 21st on Saturday!!!

1. Hi Shayne,
      I have to say you are right about teaching people to have fun–I can tell by your smile that you enjoy life! I am very excited for you that you will see you 2nd cousin soon. Spending time with your family is one life’s great joys. Will you and your cousin be going in the Terry Fox run together?
      Thank you for taking time to write such a complete comment!
      ~ Ms. Smith

1. You’re welcome, Mrs. Smith. I find that people who aren’t having fun end up saying they’re bored. Boredom is a choice so why not choose to have fun instead? You can find fun just about anywhere if you’re really watching for it! My cousin is coming to spend next weekend with us. She’s never been to Vancouver Island before!

1. Hi Maggie,
      Yes, Kid President knows how to make people laugh–and he laughs a lot too. Do you think video is an effective way to get a message across? What were your favourite parts?
      ~ Ms. Smith

1. Hi Aliyah,
      I think his message about respect goes a long way to addressing that. We do need to talk our way out of the problems we get into. Do you have strategies to suggest that would help people get along.
      ~ Ms. Smith

10. Hi Mrs. Smith! I think his message is very important and true. I believe everyone can learn from this. I learn from watching everyone around me. I learn a lot from my dad because he enjoys telling me first nations stories and showing me videos of different dances and songs. My dad is hosting a potlach and he wanted to do that for a very long time and hes very excited. I think that its awesome that he’s hosting a potlach! We can teach others even when we dont even realize it. Anyways, I think that this video is great. Thank you!

1. Jessica, I am so excited for you that your dad is hosting a potlatch! (The hair on my neck stood up when I read that–goosebumps!) I know this is a hugely significant event, something that takes years to plan. Watching him, you must be learning a lot about perseverance, as well as your family culture and story. Will you have a role in the potlach? Like Kid President said, know your history. You will be part of a new and important story through this potlach. Thank you so much for telling us about it.
      ~ Ms. Smith

11. Bonjour, Mrs.Smith
    His message is very important and I think it is something everyone should listen to. It tells you a lot about how important school is and how learning really gets you far in life. I have been trying my best to teach the world about how life is short so have a good time while you can. If you learn lots in your early years then you can get of to an early start in life. An early, intelligent start always means good things coming your way. Teachers in life are always there helping all the time without you even noticing it because there are always little bumps along the way. They help you get educated and lead you on to a healthy life time ahead of you still yet to come. Since school has started I have noticed lots of awesomeness! The kind of awesomeness I always look for is the type that involves kindness, people wanting to learn and everyone helping each other out. It looks as though 2014 is going to be a great year and I hope you feel the same way!
    Thank You,
    ~Tiana

1. First, Tiana, thank you for your thoughtful reply. I agree that early learning has a significant impact on people’s later success. Parents and teachers have learned a lot recently about the importance of play, movement, nutrition, and sleep for growing minds and bodies. I love watching the StrongStart children with their parents and grandparents exploring the world.
      I like looking for the acts of kindness and generosity by people around me. Quietly drawing attention to them by showing gratitude has a big impact. I too think we are going to have a great year together.
      You are welcome!
      ~Ms. Smith

12. Hi Ms. Smith,
    This is a great video and I think that his message is that we should be a good example for the world and people around us. I think that we teach to be good students and respect our teachers. We are learning from teachers not only academics but on how to behave in public. What have you taught the world? Come visit my blog. http://donovanhsblog.edublogs.org/

1. Hello Donovan,
      I too enjoyed the video. It shows that teachers aren’t the only ones who can teach and to be the best you can be. I have taught the world not to mask who you are by trying to fit in the wrong crowd. How have you set an example for the world?
      ~Logan

13. Hi my name is Kolby and I’m in Grade 7 in Mrs. Braidwood’s class. Kid president’s message to be awesome instead of boring is inspiring and made me think about how I work at school. It made me think I need to try a little harder to want to learn. Even though my sister is in Grade 9, I help her with her math so in a way I do teach the world or at least people around me. I have a new teacher this year and that’s awesome because I like new situations, and rugby starts again which is more awesomeness. What awesome ideas are you planning to teach your students this year?

1. Hello, Kolby!

My name is Faith, and I’m in Mrs.Smith’s class. It’s nice to hear how you’re being so helpful around your sister’s math education, and I’m sure you’ll have tons of fun playing rugby! I’ve never seen or played rugby myself, but you make it sound like a great experience! I hope you like your new teacher.

Cheers,
      Faith

14. Hi, Ms. Smith. I am in Grade 6 and my teacher this year is Mrs. Braidwood. I really enjoyed this video and how he added humor to everything he said. I noticed how it caught everyone’s attention. I’ve been doing my best to teach the world that life is short, so you have to live it while you can!

1. Hello Charli,

I’m in grade 6 also and my teacher is Ms. Smith. I thought the video was funny too. You’re also right, life is short but it feels longer and people should make the best of it. Everyone in the world should make life more fun and do stuff they like a lot.

-Shayne

1. Hello Shayne,

What you say is true. People should most definitely make the best of life while they can. It is very important to do what people think is fun and enjoyable, yes. It is very funny. I love his giggle.

1. Hi Quinn!
        I saw your post and thought I’d connect (plus I really miss you!) I completely agree that we should all be “more awesome”…especially to each other! I saw a bumper sticker the other day that said, “One Life…Live It”. I loved the simple message it expressed. I know you live each day with a focus on being kind to others and sharing the Awesome self you are with others. I really miss you!
        Say “hello” to Ms. Hoidas for me!

Ms. Morfitt

1. Dear Ms. Morfitt,

I really miss you as well. I am having a really good year at Brooklyn in Mrs. Smith’s class. Thank you for writing me.
          I am very kind to everybody.

Good bye Ms. Morfitt

From Quinn

2. Hello, Quinn.

I agree life is short and we have to live it to it’s best. Do you have any ideas on how to live life to it’s fullest?

15. Hello, Mrs. Smith. I’m in Mrs. Braidwood’s class. I love the video. It’s so encouraging how he explains everything. It makes you really become a better student because he makes it sound very interesting. I agree the word awesome is way too overused, but Haida Gwaii IS really awesome. I used to live there and the beaches are great! Did you get to enjoy the nice sandy beaches? If so, which one?

1. Hi,Chad. I’m in Ms.Smith’s. I love the video too. What I like about it is that he talks about bullying. I once went to Haida Gwaii and yes I did go to a beach, but I don’t remember which one. it was nice to finally feel the sand and water run through my toes.
      -Aliyah

16. Hello, Ms. Smith. I am in Mrs. Braidwood’s class. I think that this message teaches us that we all can be a teacher and a student. Even when you don’t think you’re being a teacher someone is learning from you. One of the awesome things I have done since school started is that I went kayaking down the Courtenay River.

1. Hello Tyler, I’m in Ms.Smith’s class. I like to go kayaking, too. I went kayaking yesterday and a kid learned from me just from looking!
      It’s so awesome that kids just can look and do it: it’s like “monkey see, monkey do”. It’s so great!
      See ya later,
      Tengis

17. Hi Mrs. Smith. I am in Mrs. Braidwood’s class. I really like the video because it is saying we can all be more awesome by helping, not bullying and teaching others. I agree with Kid President that we CAN all be more awesome everyday. I found his video funny, but also it was helpful. It tells people in the world that you can teach others and that you can make history by just doing what you do because you’re always teaching someone even if you don’t notice it. You need to make sure you’re teaching people good things!

1. Hi Danika, I am a grade 7 student from Mrs. Smiths class,
      I agree with you that we can all be more awesome in many different ways, Kid President is right. This video teaches people to be more awesome in a funny way that still gets the word out. People do need to be careful and make sure that they are teaching others good things. I think we are doing a good job of that so far thought. Do you think so?
      ~Tiana

18. Hi Ms. Smith. I’m a grade 7 student in Mrs. Braidwood’s class.
    I think Kid President’s message was to show up for school, don’t be late, study and do your best. Showing up means being positive and ready to learn. I help teach my brother to read when we come home from school.

1. Hi Tristin, I think you’re right. If you show up to school you should look at the bright side. And even if you’re having a bad day you should always try to smile and do your best. When I’m grumpy or having a bad day I try to do my best and put my best foot forward. Hope you have a wonderful year.

~ Kheton

19. Hi Mrs. Smith. I’m in Grade 6 in Mrs. Braidwood’s class. I liked how the video was inspiring. For example when he explained that we should never give up. I learned how to do a “tail-whip” on my scooter a couple weeks ago. I think I fell off at least 14 times! I finally mastered it. Have you mastered something that was hard?

1. Hi Jackson, I am Luke in Ms.Smiths class.
      I thought the video was very inspiring, I also found it humorous and truthful. Congrats that you mastered the ”tail-whip” I have no idea how difficult it is because I have never ridden a scooter.

-Luke

20. Hello Ms Smith,

I’m a grade 7 student from Mrs Braidwood’s class. I think his message was true. There’s a difference between showing up everyday and showing up and being ready. Kid President is very enthusiastic and tells a true message. He is very inspirational and a good role model for all ages. What made you choose that video for your blog?

1. Hi Keira,
      I am a grade 7 student of Ms Smith’s class, I at least must agree to your comment and that I too think that the message is true. Also I think that Ms Smith chose the video to see what responses people would have.

~Anthony

21. Hello Ms. Smith,

I am in grade 7 in Mrs. Braidwood’s class. I agree the word awesome can be used in unnecessary ways. I really enjoyed watching this video because he is trying to send us some really great messages in an enthusiastic way. My favourite was “Just like everyone else you put your pants on one leg at a time. ” I think that statement was very powerful.
    What message really stood out for you?

1. Hello Kylea,
      My name is Carlos and I am in Ms. Smith’s class and I agree the word awesome is over used to the point that it has no meaning. The statement I liked was “We are all teachers and we are all students.”
      Well thanks, bye.
      ~Carlos

22. Hi Ms Smith,

I’m in grade seven in Mrs. Braidwood’s class this year. I like Kid President’s message: you need to show up. Not just physically, but mentally too. You have to be there ready to learn as well. I think that’s the most important thing, being prepared to learn. Have you learned anything yet this school year?

1. Hi Jordan,

I’m in grade seven in Ms. Smith’s class. I definitely agree with you on your comment, you can’t just not show up to school, you have to be there ready. We haven’t been in school for that long, but I’ve already learned something. If your going to do something you have to commit to it – that’s what I’ve learned with my dance.

– Kaiya

23. Hi Mrs. Smith. I’m in Mrs. Braidwood’s class in Grade 6.
    Kid President taught me that people learn from everyone. For example when you’re at school and you’re by little kids and you do something that you’re not supposed to do they might end up doing it too. That video was a good reminder to me because I didn’t think about that.

1. Hello Ethan, I agree too ’cause sometimes little kids do what they see, so you don’t want to do anything bad around them cause they will do what you did.
      ~ Ethan

24. Hi. Ms Smith i’m in grade 6 and I’m in Mrs.braidwood’s and i luv the vid he was right we do need to keep learning every single day!

1. Hi Desi!

I am a student of Huzzah and think that your comment is 100% true! I love Kid President too and also think that every day is a day to learn!
      ~ Ryan

25. Hello Ms. Smith,

I am in grade 6 in Mrs. Braidwood’s class. I enjoyed the video and the information which you shared with everyone. I found it interesting and it made me think about what awesome really meant. I thought that awesome meant cool and excellent but NO. What I found out was that awesome really means being open minded, making others happy, showing up at school and trying your best. What made you pick that video?

1. Hi Ria

I’m a grade 6 student in Ms. Smiths class. I completely agree with your detailed comment, and I too think that going to school is really important and you should show up as much as possible, but this is coming from someone who just missed four days of school from being sick. I too over used the word awesome but now I know the real meaning of this word. I really like the video because it has a good meaning, its funny and it is very good edited.

~Evan L.

26. Hello Ms. Smith. I am in grade 6 in Mrs. Braidwood’s class. I think that Kid President is really cool because he is funny in the video and has a good point about learning and being awesome at the same time. Everyone is teaching and “studenting” even if we don’t notice it. We should all be awesome and be kind. I am awesome by working hard in school. How are you awesome?

1. Hi Claire, I am a grade 7 student from Mrs. Smith’s class. Your comment is very true. Everyday people do not notice that we are not the only students in the world. We learn something every single day, but not just from teachers at school. Everyone can be a teacher and that is awesome!
      ~Mia

2. Hello Claire, I am in Mrs. Smith’s class. I enjoyed reading your comment. I like how this video was funny and very inspirational at the same time. Everyone can be a teacher in their own way. I agree with what you said about being awesome and kind. I mean, why be mean? Being kind makes our world a friendlier, more welcoming place to live. How are teaching or “studenting” in this world?
      ~Jessica

27. Hi Mrs. Smith. I’m in grade 6 in Mrs. Braidwood’s class. This message showed me what showing up for school actually means. It means that you have to actually want to learn when you go to school. I’m teaching the world to be kind. I’m learning to try new things and go the extra mile. I’ve noticed that all my friends (new and old) are awesome. They all show up for school and are ready to learn.

28. Hi Ms. Smith,

I’m a Grade 7 student in Mrs. Braidwood’s class. I think that Kid President’s message is true. Life is a school and we need to show up. The way he explained the message in an enthusiastic, funny way was awesome. I think the people who have seen the video will look up to him and remember his message for a while.
    Which one of his messages stood out the most for you?

29. Hi Ms. Smith,

I’m in grade six and I’m in Mrs. Braidwood’s class. I think the video taught us more things like how to help us be more enthusiastic about learning new things. He said we are all teachers too and that made me feel awesome because I didn’t know I could be teaching others. Did the video help you teach?

1. Hi Seth,

I am in Ms. Smith 6/7 class. I think the video taught us something, too. It taught us that being awesome is awesome. Last week I finished something in gymnastics: my one handed cartwheel. That was awesome.
      ~Rachel

2. Hi Seth,
      I am a grade six in Smith’s class. Yes the video taught all of us something, like don’t even be a bully to the bullies because it just makes more bullying which is true. You should be more awesome with phrases of speech because awesome is a strong word.

~ Ethan

30. Hi Ms. Smith,

I’m in Ms. Braidwood’s class in grade 6. Kid President’s message said that you can learn from anyone. People can be learning from you even when you don’t know it and we need to remember that.

1. Hi Paolo,

I think that your message is very strong.

I would like to follow in your footsteps and be open to learning from everyone.

from Evan M. in Ms Smith class

1. Hi Evan!

You are open to learning from and with others! And, I agree with Paolo…you may not even realize that you are inspiring or supporting a learning opportunity for others. You, Evan, do inspire others in their learning just from being You!

Miss you!

Ms. Morfitt

1. Hi Ms. Morfitt,

I like to learn from other people. I hope that you do to!

I hope that you like your new school. good bye!

From: Evan

31. Hi Ms. Smith I’m from the Comox Valley my teacher is Mrs. Braidwood I’m in grade 7. My favourite part of the Kid President’s video was the way he used awesome. The fact that he used it in such a good way was awesome itsself. The way I teach is in my rugby when practise with the Minis with the way they act and react and I teach them how to kick, pass, tackle and scrum.

32. Hi Ms. Smith. I’m in in grade six and I’m in Mrs. Braidwood’s class. I’m learning math from the teachers in my life and it is sometimes fun. I can help my learning by trying even when it’s hard and not giving up.

1. Hello, Dawson!

My name is Faith, and I’m in Ms. Smith’s class. I’m in Grade six as well (How about that)!

Glad to hear you like Math, even though it’s not one of my favourite subjects. (My report card says I’m good at it though…Meh.) Do you have any other subjects you like?

I get that sometimes subjects are hard, and it’s great that you can get through it and try your best. Keep up the good work!

Cheers,
      Faith

33. Hi Ms. Smith,

My teacher’s name is Mrs. Braidwood. You probably know her. I have a problem and you probably now what I’m getting at: bullying. Kid President said don’t be a bully even to bullies. I don’t think that anyone will listen to a little kid, but I wish they would. So I was wondering if you knew a way I could get bullies to stop without making it worse? In a way I find it hard not to treat them the same way they treat others.

1. Hi Braiden, I do indeed know Mrs. Braidwood, so I know you are in for an exciting year of learning. I am sorry you feel you are not listened to and are having difficulties at school. I do know many of the adults in your school who are good listeners and the sort of people don’t accept bullying. They work with students to teach them to be assertive, not aggressive or passive, and I know they deal quickly with bullying behaviour. If things still don’t change after you’ve asked for help, go to Erasebullying.ca to report what’s happening. There are posters up in your school.
      Be an advocate for yourself, Braiden.
      Best wishes to you,
      ~ Ms. Smith

34. Hi Mrs. Smith. I think his message is to do your best and never give up. For example he said “go to school and work” instead of going and not doing anything. I have to remember that sometimes.

1. Hi Jarin,
      I am a grade 7 student from Mrs.Smith’s class and i completely agree with you on what you think that this video is about. It is also a very good message to live by, “Do your best and never give up” it sounds like something a hero would say, don’t you think? Sometimes I have to remember to go to school as well and even if I don’t want to, I have to. so i have a question for you. What is your purpose in life in your opinion. I would have asked what you teach the world but that has already been asked. I look forward to hearing what you think about my question.
      ~ Heather