Managing Worry

Everybody worries. It could be about friendships, being on stage, or performing on the soccer field. Worry, as our counsellor Mr. Montgomery says, has a bad reputation, but really it is normal and can be a positive force in life. We learned about strategies to manage worry, then combined what we learned into cartoons.

This is harder than you would expect–developing a scenario that demonstrates effective strategies and creating effective panels requires creativity, thinking, and determination. Completed student cartoons will pop up on their blogs in the coming days.

So, readers, what do you worry about? How do you manage it? Are there strategies that you could suggest that will help us keep anxiety in perspective? Let us know in a comment!

15 comments

1. That is terrific advice. My mother used to say “this too shall pass”. Having perspective on your worries can certainly keep your anxiety in check.

1. Hi my name is Anahi from Mr.Millers class. I really like this animated skit, it fits perfect to my situations. One day I had a science project we had 2 weeks to do it , and I waited till the last minute to start and finish it. I rushed it so quick, luckily I still got an A on it. I’ve learned my lesson though, and I hope that girl did too. I like these skits and hope to see more from you, Great Job! 🙂

1. Hi Anahi, such a large part in avoiding worry is getting things done on time–that’s true for me, anyway. I am glad you like the comics my students made–a lot of effort went into completing them.
      Keep blogging!
      Ms. Smith

2. Hi there,
    I am commenting all the way from Australia as I stumbled across your blog by accident…however I am very glad that I have! We are currently on summer holidays in Australia and still have another four weeks off ….but as you would know a teachers mind never switches off! I will be teaching grade 5/6 next year and though I have blogged before, I am looking forward to connecting with others from around the globe and giving the studenst authentic learning experiences via blogging and collaborating. I am in the process of establishing our class blog for 2013 and would love for you and your students to visit our space and vice versa! Let me know if you would be interested!
    Regards, Leah Sinnott

1. Hi Leah, I hope your summer holidays were delicious! I look forward to connecting with you and your students as you begin your new school year. I would like to add you to our blogroll, and am on the hunt for your url. We look forward to watching your blog grow!
      Best wishes,
      Jan Smith

3. My mother always said, “All worry is nonproductive.” That means, either you can do something about the situation to make it better, so do whatever it is that needs to be done and stop worrying (worrying about a test you are about to take, for example. Don’t worry…STUDY!) Or it means you can’t do anything about it and no amount of worrying will change it so don’t waste time worrying (worrying about whether or not it will rain during your baseball game. No sense worrying about that since we can’t control the weather). I think this is good advice, especially since I like to be productive at all times.

~Mrs. Donofrio

1. What a wise woman your mother is. It is an attitude to aspire to. I am beginning to understand that changing your inner dialogue is the secret to contentment. It helps to think of the good advice others give us and begin to act more like our own best friends.
      ~Ms. Smith

4. Hi my name is Jonathan and I am in Mr.Miller’s class.I like that comic you made.It really teaches a lot.If I was that girl,I would have done it right away,but I didn’t do my work one time.I had three days to do it and I did it at the last day.Then my mom grounded me because three days before that I told her that i didn’t have homework.I forgot.Good thing I checked my planner.Now,I make sure to always do my work.I have to go, so see you later.

-Jonathan

1. Hi Jonathan, thanks for dropping by. Yes, for most things we do (or don’t do!) there is a consequence. I know if I delay getting important things done, it always costs me. One of the toughest thing in life is delay of gratification. It’s tough to put first things first at times, but it’s necessary, isn’t it?
      Best wishes to you,
      Ms. Smith

5. Hi my name is Austin and I am 12 years old in grade 7. I like your comic. I really like the way you drew your comic characters. How did you do the faces on the comic characters so well? I think you did a good job.

6. Hi, I’m Cooper. I sometimes worry about a big test I have to take. I manage it by studying extra hard and believing that I can do it. I do have a strategy to suggest that might help you keep anxiety in perspective… Always believe that eventually your worries will be over if you try your hardest and never give up, and take really deep breathes. And most of the time just think and there’s really nothing to worry about. I also really like the comic page. It teaches a whole life lesson in just one page. I have been there before just like the girl .
    – Cooper

1. Thanks for you comment, Cooper. Perspective taking is perhaps one of the best strategies. My mum used to say, “This, too, shall pass.” We have all been there. Worry is just part of being human.
      Thanks you again for taking time to comment,
      Ms. Smith